- To understand the bamboo appearance, visualise a bamboo stalk that has been sectioned into strips, flattened, and pressed alongside other strips.
- A bamboo material sheet is formed with multiple layers of thin bamboo glued and pressed together with the direction of the grain alternating.
- Maximum usable area: 595mm x 295mm.
- Maximum sheet size: Approx. 600mm x 300mm.
- Price Range: $ Low.
- Thickness: Available in 1.5mm and 3mm, (3mm option can range from 2.5mm up to 3.5mm).
- Finish: Natural, smooth* finish that is consistent on both sides.
Gallery of Bamboo
Good to Know
Surface Is 'Natural'Bamboo is a natural material; wood knots, differing grain colours, and varying textures are part of the beauty of this material. The smoothness of the surface can vary and may benefit from some hand finishing with fine sand paper if that is preferred.
Peeling Your PiecesIf you peel the tape in the wrong direction, you can end up pulling up fibres, and leaving your pieces looking rough. To avoid this, have a look at the top of your shape and work out which direction the grain runs. This will vary between stock and won't always be the same. Peel quite slowly, and you should have a smooth-ish finish. For an even smoother finish, sand with fine sand paper.
Not Suitable for Paint FillPaint fill technique (as we describe using on acrylic) isn't suitable for this material (because the tape doesn't stick as firmly to the surface, causing paint to 'bleed' out and adhere onto other areas). You can trial painting directly over the surface instead; for this we recommend a heavy body acrylic paint (as thin viscosity paints will bleed into the bamboo texture). As with trying any new technique, consider testing on a sample swatch.
- Looks great when partnered with a bright acrylic colour; a great juxtaposition of natural vs. synthetic.
- Consider the end product suitability to the material. Bamboo doesn't lend itself well to being wet/dried repeatedly, so products that are commonly removed (e.g. necklaces) can offer longevity for customers (when compared to something like earrings, which some people choose not to remove regularly once in).
- Cuts well and leaves a clean, smooth edge line that typically shows a darkened cross-section view of the bamboo grain.
- Engraves well and can hold fine details (engraved areas typically have a slightly darkened appearance).
- Comes with a protective tape coating that will need to be peeled off.
- It is difficult to capture colour correctly; allow for slight variation from monitor to reality.