- These materials are solid opaque sheets of acrylic in black and white.
- The colour is the same on the front, the back and the sides.
- Consistent and reliable finishes.
- Maximum usable area: 595mm x 295mm.
- Maximum sheet size: Approx. 600mm x 300mm.
- Price Range: $ Low.
- Thickness: Black Solid is available in 2mm, 3mm, 4.5mm and 6mm. White Solid is also available in 2mm.
- Finish: High gloss on the front/top and on the back/bottom. Matte Black Solid and Matte White Solid have a matte top/front, high gloss top/bottom.
Good to Know
Gloss or Matte FinishThe Matte options have one matte side (the front/top) and one gloss side (the back/bottom). The matte finish can make paint fill difficult, because the paint will ‘stick’ to the matte surface (whereas on the gloss finish paint will usually wipe off with ease where there isn’t engraving).
Strong Protective TapeMost solid acrylic colours have brown protective tape on them (some other materials have white protective tape). This brown tape adheres really well to the acrylic, making it slightly more difficult to peel. The benefit here is that solid acrylic is ideal for paint filling because the paint is less likely to bleed under the tape!
Gloss shows marks easilyWhere there is a high gloss finish, any marks/fluff/scratches/etc can show up quite easily on finished products. Our advice is to peel your pieces as late in the process as you can (such as do all your gluing and assembly that you can with the protective tape still on) and as late as you can, peel the tape, clean the pieces with a gentle microfiber cloth and seal them in something like a cellophane bag.
- Ideal for prototyping, as they are low cost and readily available.
- The 2mm options are great backing layers for multi-layer pieces to reduce overall weight.
- Most solid colours typically come with a brown or clear protective tape, which adheres quite strongly to the material. Because of this, solid can be ideal for using when applying a paint fill technique.
- Ideal for bright paint-fill colours and lots of engraving to contrast with these plain acrylics.
- Cuts well and leaves a clean, smooth edge line that typically shows the core colour on the sides.
- Engraves well and can hold fine details (engraved areas typically have a frosted white appearance).
- Comes with a Brown or Clear protective tape coating that will need to be peeled off.