- These materials are solid opaque coloured sheets of acrylic.
- The colour is the same on the front, the back and the sides.
- Consistent and reliable colours and finishes.
- Different colours come from different suppliers, so manufacture location and prices may vary.
- Maximum usable area: 595mm x 295mm.
- Maximum sheet size: Approx. 600mm x 300mm.
- Price Range: $ Low.
- Thickness: 3mm (± 10%).
- Finish: Matte Finish on the front/top. High gloss on the back/bottom.
Good to Know
These traits are typical of this material (and not something we consider a fault). Here we try to share with you everything we know about this material; we'd like to empower you with this information so that you may embrace it, and design within the scope of the manufacturer features.
Gloss or Matte Finish
The Matte options have one matte side (the front/top) and one gloss side (the back/bottom). The matte finish can make paint fill difficult, because the paint will ‘stick’ to the matte surface (whereas on the gloss finish paint will usually wipe off with ease where there isn’t engraving).
Gloss shows marks easily
Where there is a high gloss finish, any marks/fluff/scratches/etc can show up quite easily on finished products. Our advice is to peel your pieces as late in the process as you can (such as do all your gluing and assembly that you can with the protective tape still on) and as late as you can, peel the tape, clean the pieces with a gentle microfiber cloth and seal them in something like a cellophane bag.
- Most Perfect Matte colours typically come with a brown or white protective tape, which adheres quite strongly to the material. Because of this, perfect matte gloss backs can be ideal for using when applying a paint fill technique.
- Cuts well and leaves a clean, smooth edge line that typically shows the core colour on the sides.
- Engraves well and can hold fine details (engraved areas typically have a frosted white appearance). Engraving looks most effective on darker colours (so that it will show contrast), or when used for gloss side paint filling.
- Comes with a protective tape coating that will need to be peeled off.
- It is difficult to capture colour correctly; allow for slight variation from monitor to reality.